Ragi, scientifically called Eleusine coracana, is an annually cultivated cereal crop, vastly found in the tropical regions of Africa and Asia, such as in Ethiopia, India, And Sri Lanka. Being densely packed with a host of nutrients, ragi confers valuable health benefits such as enhancing digestion, reducing the risk of heart disease, slowing down aging, and managing diabetes.
1. Loaded with Calcium: Ragi flour is one of the best non-dairy sources of calcium when compared to any other grains. According to the National Institute of Nutrition in India, 100 grams of Ragi contains 344 mg calcium. Calcium is critical for healthy bones and teeth and prevention of osteoporosis – a disease that weakens the bones. It is extremely beneficial for growing kids and can be given in the form of Ragi Porridge.
2. Helps in Controlling Diabetes: The grain’s seed coat is abundant in polyphenols and dietary fibers as compared to rice, maize, or wheat. The low glycemic index lessens food cravings and maintains the digestive pace, consequently, keeping blood sugar within the safe range. the best way to add this in your breakfast or lunch for maximum absorbability.
3. Reverts Skin Ageing: Ragi works wonders for maintaining young and youthful skin. Vital amino acids like Methionine and Lysine present in it make the skin tissues less prone to wrinkles and sagging. Dr. Sood explains, “Ragi is also one of the very few natural sources of Vitamin D which is mostly derived from sunlight. Vitamin D is a carrier molecule for calcium, which accounts for vitality.”
4. It Battles Anemia: Ragi is an excellent source of natural iron and thus a boon for anemic patients and also for those with low hemoglobin levels. Once ragi are allowed to sprout, the Vitamin C levels tend to increase and lead to easy absorption of iron into the bloodstream.
5. Relaxes the Body: Regular consumption of Ragi is highly beneficial in dealing with conditions of anxiety, depression, and insomnia. The presence of antioxidants, mainly Tryptophan and amino acids, helps as they work as natural relaxants. As per a study conducted by Medindia in 2000, Ragi consumption is also useful for migraines. What better way there is than to calm yourself down by munching on some healthy and crisp Ragi cookies?
6. Helps in Weight Loss: The high amount of dietary fiber combine keeps the stomach full for longer and prevents unwanted cravings. This, in turn, leads to a minimized appetite and weight loss. “Ragi flour lowers your blood sugar levels in the body by activating insulin.